Musical Director Gardiner Street Gospel Choir
St. Francis Xavier Church, Gardiner Street, Dublin 1
Position Gospel Choir Musical Director
Report to Choir Governance Team & Parish Priest
Hours 12 per week (September – June)
Place of Work St. Francis Xavier Church, Gardiner Street, Dublin 1
Founded in 2000, Gardiner Street Gospel Choir is one of Ireland's most renowned gospel choirs. Based in St. Francis Xavier's Church on Gardiner Street, the choir is known for the energy and enthusiasm it brings to the weekly gospel mass on Sunday evenings.
The Gardiner Street Gospel choir was set up in March 2000 by Kevin Kelly to encourage young people to return to mass and to make the mass a more joyful and meaningful experience for all. The GSGC is a spiritual, vibrant and entertaining choir with a reputation for lively and inspiring performances, spreading infectious joy and a meaningful message through music everywhere they perform.
The 40 singers are accompanied by a band of 6 and continue to convey the gospel message through their music. The gospel choir have made the mass a true celebration, bringing the liturgy to life and enhancing the community spirit within the church.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. The organisation, preparation and direction of music for the Gardiner St Gospel Choir & Band forweekly 7.30pm Sunday mass and occasional gigs. Current fixed working hours are 6.00pm-8.30pm Sundays and 7.30pm-9.30pm Wednesdays.
2. Development of repertoire, including Mass parts, appropriate to the choir’s purpose and the arrangement of music where necessary.
3. The organisation and directing of the weekly rehearsals of the choir to ensure that the choir and band are adequately prepared for each Mass and that it performs to a consistently high standard as appropriate for a choir under professional direction.
4. Maintain a varied and inclusive solo list and develop new soloists through auditions and Mass parts.
5. Liaise with the choir & band planning team with regards to members’ attendance, auditioning/admitting/training new members and integrating them into the GSGC.
6. Training and leading the band to a high professional standard.
7. Building positive relationships within the Gardiner St Gospel Choir community.
8. Ensuring a good sound quality of choir and band.
9. Actively engage with choir/bandoperations team and choir/band governance team, including participation at monthly meetings.
10. Liaise with the Mass liturgy team and the Parish Priest.
11. Flexibility of working hours for preparing for gigs and performances outside of the weekly schedule, on an ad-hoc basis.
12. Participate in the promotion of the choir/band and of the weekly Mass & gigs.
- Experience of teaching &conducting a choir, leading a band and arranging music.
- Strong ability to quickly learn existing musical repertoire to maintain continuity.
- Knowledge of music software, Dropbox and Microsoft Office programmes.
- Knowledge of liturgy and openness to working within a faith-based community.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Confident in liaising with adults and youths.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Punctuality& enough spare time to take on a new commitment
- Ability to create a sense of fun and enjoyment with this voluntary group, creating a positive fun experience for the choir, band, congregation and themselves.
Please submit applications to:
Lindsay Rountree firstname.lastname@example.org 0874136196 Deadline Sunday 6th May 2018
Suitable applicants will be called for interview for the week of 14th – 20th May 2018
Offers to successful candidate by the 27th May 2018